Saturday, March 7, 2015

CONFESSIONS OF A MOM

Over the past several weeks it feels like I've been surrounded by the news of death and sickness. Someone's sister, a father-in-law, a husband, a son, a baby, someone starting the fight with cancer, someone with an illness that has dragged on for awhile, and the list goes on. It's been a bit of a downer. That, in combination with getting very little sleep has really made me depressed.

I want to do something to help everyone who is suffering right now. It breaks my heart to know somewhat of what they are feeling. Then the other day when I had my cello with me, someone held the door open for me. I can get through doors with him myself, but it was sure nice to have someone help me out.

As I was walking to my car feeling a little bit lighter with a smile on my face the thought "51 Acts of Kindness" popped into my head. Why 51? I have no idea. That's the number that came with the phrase. So here's my idea. Starting on April 1st (or you can start now) and running for as long as we can, I want to start a Random Acts of Kindness Campaign. I'm going to have a list of ideas for random acts of kindness. Nothing to big, but things that will hopefully make people smile. Then together we'll get the campaign going.

Each day, pick an act of kindness and do it. If you feel like it, post about it with the hashtag #51ActsofKindness. Don't mention names. Just post that you participated if you want.

So from now until April 1st I need help promoting the idea. Share this post. Talk about the campaign. Get the word out. Let's see how many smiles we can put on people's faces. We don't know what someone is going through and what a little act of kindness will mean to them. Let's lift someone's spirits. And feel free to add to the list in the comments. I'll update the list with any additions that come in.

51 Acts of Kindness (someone can be a stranger, a neighbor, friend, family member, really anyone)

  • smile at someone
  • hold the door open for someone
  • pay someone a sincere compliment someone
  • take a picture of a flower and share it
  • call/text/message the first person that comes to mind
  • tell someone you love them
  • pull a weed or two
  • pick up a piece of garbage
  • read a story to a child
  • help someone with their groceries
  • return a shopping cart to its proper place
  • take out the garbage
  • empty the dishwasher
  • give someone a hug
  • call someone by name (read a workers name tag and call them by name)
  • write a note
  • make the bed
  • drop a plate of cookies off to someone
  • share a picture of something you love
  • sweep the sidewalk
  • sweep rocks back into yards
  • pull in someone's garbage can
  • look for someone who needs help and help them
  • share an inspirational quote
  • watch someone's kids
  • wave at someone
  • mail a card/letter to someone
  • say thank you
I know there are not 51 suggestions on here, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Hopefully you'll help me add to the list. Happy Kindness Going! :)

1 comment: