Saturday, January 11, 2014


I had several things happen this week that popped out as something I should write about. I'm not sure I can cover all of them, but I think I'll start with the one that's still going on. Well, they're all going on in a way, but I think you'll see what I mean in a moment.

Monday morning I was awakened by several text messages in a row. It was about 6:30 but after yet another night of not sleeping very well, (that’s a story in itself) I was a bit perturbed. I glanced at the messages and they all said the roughly same thing, “Are you okay?” I shook my head. Of course I was okay. What made them think I wasn’t? I set my phone back down and rolled over.

When another who knows how many texts came, or maybe it was my brain finally woke up, I realized that there had to be a reason they were asking. So, I replied that we were fine and then found out that they had received an email saying I needed some help. That, of course, lead me to getting on my computer knowing that someone had most likely hacked my account.

I logged into my email account and found it completely empty. No email addresses. No emails. Nothing. I began hoping that if I got my password reset that everything would magically appear again, after all, that’s basically what happened when my blog got hacked last year.

An hour later, after fielding who knows how many calls and texts I got my password changed, but nothing showed up. It was all gone. I was frustrated, very frustrated and overwhelmed at the task of trying to recreated literally about fifteen years worth of email addresses and all the emails that I needed for this week, all while trying to figure out how to get a message out to people to say we’re okay.

I remembered to get onto Facebook and put something there. (I also noticed several messages from people there too.) But that’s all I could do. I had no one’s email address. So for the rest of the day I replied to text messages, phone calls, and emails that kept coming in asking if we were all right or offering help.

By the end of the day, I should say that, from the very beginning of the situation I was irritated. I was irritated that I would be fielding all these messages. I was irritated that someone would erase all my emails and addresses. I was irritated at the entire situation. Someone had just made my live extremely complicated for no real reason. It really bothered me.

Then I had a thought. Grant it, it wasn’t until that evening as I was sitting fuming about the situation that I realized something. Every one of those texts or emails or phone calls or Facebook messages was someone who cared about me and my family. Every one of them would have been willing to help with whatever I needed. Some of the people that responded I haven’t heard from in almost ten years. Ten years, and when some hacker posted that I was in an uncomfortable situation and needed help, they contacted me to see what they could do.

In fact, I had people calling Hubby to get my phone number to see what they could do. People who have more contact with him than me expressed their concern to him, wanting to make sure that I was all right.

As frustrating as the whole situation was, I learned something. There are a lot of people out there that care about me and my family. I’m still getting emails and text messages to make sure that it was just an email hack and not a situation where I really needed help. When I turned my thinking that way, I was extremely humbled and honored that so many people would be concerned about little old me.

So thank you for caring, whether you responded or not, it doesn’t matter. I know that there are people out there that care about me and that are willing to help with whatever I need. There is a lot of comfort in that and I’m very grateful for that insight.

Every situation has a silver lining. I hope we can all find it someday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment