Thursday, February 20, 2020

THE MILKMAN'S SON by Randy Lindsay

THE MILKMAN'S SON: A Memoir of Family History by Randy Lindsay. I have a hard time reading memoirs. They tend to lean toward a slower paced story that I struggle to dive into. Then add family history into the mix and I was sure it would be a bomb. Hence why I was skeptical about this one, and the couple of chapters had me wondering what I had gotten myself into. However, I should have known better with Randy Lindsay as the other. The few times I've met him has been interesting. You never know where the conversation will go and I always left a conversation (which usually I just listened as part of a group) smiling. His book is no exception. After the first few chapters, I found I couldn't put it down. I wanted to know what was going to happen. His DNA journey was fascinating. I began wondering what I would find in my DNA and where my story would go. I understand that can lead to some heartache for some people and excitement for others, but I found this memoir inspiring me to see what surprises are in my family tree. I highly recommend this book to everyone. It is all very appropriate for anyone, and be careful. You just might be bit by the Family History bug.

:) :) :) :) :)

Raised in a family he bore little resemblance to, Randy was jokingly referred to as "the milkman's son." This warm and candid memoir chronicles the unraveling of a family secret, which begins with Randy's dad having dreams about deceased relatives urging him to complete their family tree. Randy agrees to help with the genealogy, but after his searching leads to a dead end, he takes a commercially available DNA test. The results reveal a possible genetic match to a sister, which begins a familial quest that forever changes the author's life.
Featuring a cast of vivid characters richly drawn from two distinct families, The Milkman's Sonreveals one man's family tree, pulling back layers of new information as he gets closer to the truth—a biological father, siblings, and family members he never knew about.
This is a story of accepting, forgiving, and reuniting. Most importantly, it's about the bonds that connect us and the unconditional love that makes us feel like we belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment