Saturday, May 24, 2014

CONFESSIONS OF A MOM


Well, we made it back from our trip and surprise, surprise, everything was fine. It was a great experience in so many ways but I found I still had to fight the anxiety. Thank you to all those who offered help and advice on how to get through it. I found I had to make a conscious effort not to think things through very much. The minute I did, I felt myself begin to spiral downward. It was a delicate balance that I’m still working on.

Since I haven’t given many details on the actual trip, I figured I’d do so briefly now. Hubby and I were blessed with the opportunity to take a Mediterranean Cruise. We began with a day and a half in Rome where we saw the Vatican City and the Colosseum. From there we embarked on our cruise ship to our next port in Livorno, Italy.

We had a wonderful tour of Pisa and Florence before getting back on the ship. The next port was Cannes, France. We happened to be there during the film festival. (No we didn’t personally see any stars, but several members of our group said they did.) Craziness there, but we chose to see Nice and Eze rather than stay in Cannes. Beautiful cities.

Palyma, Majorca, Spain came next. Another beautiful city with incredible beaches. We went to Barcelona, Spain where the ‘c’ is pronounced with a ‘th’ sound by the natives rather than ‘s’ sound we give it. The works of Gaudi were incredible and we enjoyed attending church there.

The next day was spent at sea and was the only day it rained. It was also the only time I really felt the ship moving. I found it interesting that because of that day—at least I’m pretty sure it was because of that day—I had trouble getting my land legs back.

We docked in Naples, Italy where we toured Sorrento and a little far where they showed us how to make mozzarella cheese and olive oil before going to Pompeii. Breathtaking views and incredible history.

We disembarked in Rome and left for home. I know that’s a barebones synopsis, but a more detailed report would take a long time. So here are is the answer to the most common question we’ve received so far. “Was it worth it?” Absolutely.

Was it easy? No, but I learned a lot and was reminded of so many things I am grateful for. I am so thankful for wide roads and space between homes. I’m thankful for the many opportunities we have in the States. As frustrated as we can get with the government and things that are happening, we a truly blessed. We have so much that we take for granted, i.e. toilet seats, free public restrooms (although I can see the advantage to having to pay. They’re restrooms were very clean.), sidewalks that fit more than a half a person on them, smooth roads, homes, and the list goes on.

I am very grateful for family and friends who helped us with Tigger while we were gone. I’m thankful that my mind was put at ease most of the time. I’m thankful for the memories that were created. So, here are a few pictures of our trip. Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment