Saturday, February 20, 2010

Teachers

I had the privilege of subbing yesterday at a valley high school. When I arrived things were a little more chaotic than usual. The secretary apologized and said that they had lost a teacher last night and everyone was still in shock. I knew it would be a hard day on that campus. For me the day went rather well but it did get me thinking about teachers and just how many lives they touch. Not only did this teacher leave behind his immediate and extended family, but his school family of teachers and his school children, students.

Think about it. In a high school setting there is what? A minimum of at least 40 teachers? Plus all the staff. Then this teacher has six classes of 30 or more students. That's 180 kids, give or take a few. Add to that the sports programs this particular teacher was involved in and those are just the contacts this year. Depending on how many years at a particular school the numbers get high pretty quickly.

I think of my parents teaching for 30 years and all of the lives they have touched. What an impact just one person has on so many people. My heart goes out to all those whose lives have been touched by this teacher. My heart goes out to the family. My heart goes out to all of those who are mourning this loss. My heart goes out to all teachers who sacrifice and care for so many others besides themselves. I know my life would not be the same without the many teachers that have helped guide me along the way.

2 comments:

  1. my sister teaches in the same department as that teacher did. I was having lunch with her today & she was telling me all about it. I'm guessing its the same teacher your speaking of.. the coincidense would be too much. So awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former teacher, I REALLY appreciate the appreciation. We can go a long time on a few kind words:)

    ReplyDelete