Using Internal Thought to Create Characterization
Reasons to use internal thought correctly
1. reveals characterization
2. reveals motivation
3. increases tension and stakes
4. is very often what editors and agents are referring to when they talk about “voice”
- your writing will suffer and be weaker if you don’t use it
What internal thought is . . . and why it makes or breaks your book.
What is internal thought?—The moment by moment thoughts your character thinks
1. Internal thought reveals characterization
- write down 10 character traits your main character has
quick thinking, loyal, courageous, slow to trust, lonely, smart,
- How internal thought defines motivation
can use it to reveal the subtle things
- your main character is planning on stealing something. Get into their mind, and write some internal thought about why he or she feels justified in stealing the thing.