Friday, July 15, 2011

A Fond Farewell

By Bonnie Harris

So who's already seen it? I have and I'll probably go again with my dad next week (since Mom doesn't like those kind of movies). It really has been a fantastic journey though the books and the movies. I think back on the journey that I'm calling the Harry Potter era and smile. I admit I didn't jump on the bandwagon until book 4 came out in paperback and ate it up. I discovered them when I was "kicked out" of my house and went away to college. I sucked up the books, probably because they made me think of home. How many people have found comfort and solace within the pages of a book?

Now I look back on who I was at that time and who I am now. It's amazing to see the growth I've made and who I've become. It's amazing to see the growth of the Harry Potter characters in the books as well as in the movies.

Since I've learned more about the art of writing, I looked at this last movie from a different perspective and I have to say I'm blown away. Outlining and planning out a book before it's written is very difficult for me to do, but then to witness what happens when someone does that motivates me to keep going. It's in credible the subtle little details that I've noticed now that to have been planned and set up all the way back into book one. Incredible. Now I knowJ.K. Rowling is not the first and only author who has done that, but she's the first one I've really noticed. Maybe that's because I'm taking notice now, but I just found it interesting.

A nice little side note, but this really is a fond farewell to a magical era. I believe the books will still be popular for years to come, but they won't hold the same excitement. The anticipation and speculation of what will happen in a book that hasn't been released yet. The midnight shows and book store openings just for that release. None of that will be happening anymore.

For those who are interested, J.K. Rowling is doing something new with Harry Potter calledPottermore. It sounds pretty interesting. Here's her interview about that. And just for kicks and giggles, here's the speeches given at the London premiere sometime last week.

So, I'd just like to say farewell and thank you to all those who have participated in the Harry Potter era, J.K. Rowling for writing the wonderful stories, the publishers, the actors in the movie, the director, agents, and everyone else involved. It's been a magical time. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment